So you are interested in moderating a writing stream? Excellent, you’re in the right place!
Our volunteer moderators are essential in making sure our events run smoothly and well for everyone. They support our streamers, keep the streams safe for everyone, report the statistics back for the event, and coordinate stream changeovers.
What You Are Signing Up For
What’s required of everyone who signs up to moderate:
- Moderate your assigned writing stream for 2 hours
- Connect with your streamer on Discord at least 15 minutes before your assigned stream is due to start
- Stick to the schedule and let the admins know ASAP if you can’t make your moderation slot for any reason
- Interact in the Twitch stream chat
- Abide by:
- Coordinate the hand-offs between streamers on either side of your slot
- Coordinate with OHHOW admins and other mods to help things run smoothly
- Take emergency measures when required
Each stream has 2 moderator slots available: Word Count Mod and Chat Engagement Mod. Their specific duties are listed below. This is to ensure that the tasks are covered easily, though mods are welcome to help each other out!
Word Count Mods must:
- Record writing statistics for your assigned stream
- Report statistics for sprints in the Twitch chat
- Check Discord for viewers unable to report word counts on Twitch and include their statistics
Chat Engagement Mods must:
- Enforce the applicable codes of conduct and community guidelines in the chat
- Remove inappropriate posts
- Ban bots
- Engage in the chat with the streamer and other viewers
- Actively encourage positive participation
See also the Essentials sections:
You don’t have to:
How to Sign Up
To sign up for a moderator slot, look for when the volunteer signups are open for the next event! Our schedule shows when the signups are open, and keep an eye on the announcements in the OHHOW Discord server for the link.
You will also be able to pick which streaming slot (or slots!) you want. Once we have all the volunteers signed up, the schedule is opened up for everyone to select a slot that suits their time zone and schedule. Keep an eye out on our Discord server for notifications so you know when to jump in and grab your slot.
Stream Timing and Requirements
Getting Started: Essentials
Never moderated a Twitch stream as part of an OHHOW event before? Here’s what you need to do to get yourself set up:
Moderation in Action: Essentials
Here’s what you need to know about being a moderator for your slot:
Tips and Suggestions
- Check the schedule often and stay connected in case there are changes
- Get your spreadsheet set up early, so you’re ready to go on the day
- Set an alarm for when you need to put your mod hat on! (15 minutes before your mod slot starts)
- Have a list of questions to help keep things moving
Here are some optional extras you can also do: